Friday, October 12, 2012

Why I Just Killed My Own Theatre Department

Thespian Troupe #2041's Charter
When I left the San Francisco Shakespeare Festival to work in public education back in 1996, I stepped into a thriving two-teacher department at my Alma Mater. I still tell people that if I weren't teaching at my old high school, I wouldn't be teaching: it's too hard. Antioch High has a rich 55-year history and our Theatre Department is no different. Our Thespian Troupe was formed in 1960 and alumni include such successes as two-time Academy Award Winner Michael Semanick.

Over the past 17 years (and many before that), our department has done countless musicals, straight plays, and student written & directed shows. Experiences during my tenure included everything from yearly fieldtrips to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival to a student production as part of the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Today is our last day.

Things have changed over the years, and I'm not just talking about demographics. Both middle schools that feed into our school dropped their drama programs (Theatre found me in 8th grade) and their music programs are almost non-existent as well. Our ninth graders have increasingly been assigned required electives like Academic Literacy, Health, and Algebra Support classes. A few years ago, the district decided to start a performing arts academy without utilizing any of our currently-teaching performing artists.

And then the magic happened.

Technology is Communication is Theatre


I've been a technology enthusiast long before SF Shakes handed me my first pager that could text. I think that my training and work in communication is fed by the possibilities that technology presents us. One day three years ago, my Principal backed me up when I disagreed with a District-level colleague about an online grade-book communication system. Without going into the ups-and-downs since then, the entire district is now using the tool that I was recommending, I've been our school Technology Coordinator ever since, am now leading workshops on texting and mobile app design at conferences from Monterey to Florida, and am Director of Antioch High School's Media/Tech Academy. It's been a crazy three years.

Good Grief


At the beginning of last school year, my Principal offered me the choice to add an additional Acting One class (which would help build my program) or to put me in charge of a Cyberhigh class. I deliberately chose the tech class and quietly began the five stages of grief that I've had the last year to slowly move through. With the work of opening an academy and another place in the district that interested young performers could choose to go, I knew the end was near.

And then it showed up early.

Two weeks ago, the computer teacher in our academy announced her retirement. As of today. I knew that next year I'd be teaching tech classes and we'd have to decide what to do with the theatre classes (which were down to three), but with this news I was going to have to take over her classes: needed to - both for the academy and for the kids.... and probably for myself. I've never thought of myself as a career high school teacher (again, it's too hard). Instead I get to start a new career as a high school teacher. Subtle difference, but different nonetheless.

Good Bye


Today we dissolved the three theatre classes. Dissolved.
Just typing that was tough.

As for me, I have a part time job teaching theatre and directing at the local Community College; I'm not losing my art. As for the kids, there are a handful of my Advanced kids that are hurt because they're losing their home, but most of my students are just bummed that they're losing a "cool teacher." We'll still have the Thespian troupe meet after school, and if they want to do a show, we'll hire someone to come in and help.

But it won't be me.

Across campus there are 130 ninth graders calling.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you.
But just wait until you realize what those 9th graders are calling (you.)

Unknown said...

Oh my God. </3

Bryan said...

I just got sick to my stomach. I understand why you're doing it, but I can't imagine high school for me without the Theatre program. It steered my life in a special direction and gave me a home at school. I can't believe it.

Carly said...

It's good to hear you're doing new things, and exploring what technology can offer, but a part of me can't help but be sad for the theatre I knew. I know it's far past what I had in Highschool, but still. You were a giant part of what I learned theatre was meant to be, and that's a now part of something important that new students to the art will no longer get. At least not the way I did. You helped shape a lot of good and happy lives with what you taught in your theatre classes, and I know you'll take that to your new endeavors as well. Any students you get are lucky ones!

rocky said...

oh man. i'm with bryan on this one. it's the only part of high school that i actually liked or felt comfortable with. sean, i am grateful that i got to be a part of that department and for your first year teaching there. thank you!!

Kevin Scofield said...

Hey Sean. Happy to hear you're still able to have brand new experiences. That's what life's about after all, right? It's sad the department is dissolved. But the students who are hooked into theatre and art will find a way to develop it. I did and I'm still in (you and Shakespeare, sir, had much to do with that). I am a little bummed I never got to have you as a teacher or director. But it was a pleasure to share the stage with you in Hamlet. Anyway, good luck on your future direction. Be joyful, happiness is overrated (stole that from Colbert on Oprah)

-Kevin

MG said...

Hmmm, this is bittersweet, isn't it? On one hand, I'm excited for you, Sean, in this new stage of your teaching career, and we all know how much you love technology! Yet, on the other hand, I don't even have the right words to express my sorrow for the theatre department that I belonged to both as student and then as a teacher. It was a blessing for me to be in your classes that first year of teaching and then witness years later how the department had been shaped and grown. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for the arts for as many years as you did. Also, thank you for your guidance in my first years of teaching acting; I intend to one day return to it, if the future permits. Can't help feeling a little guilty about my leaving back in '08, though I'm well aware it probably wouldn't have made much difference in the end, seeing as that in three year's time I'd gone from four sections of acting to only one. Yep, I remember discussions with you and Mo that the arts were dwindling even back then. Seemed once the Arts Academy was approved, our department's days were numbered, hence why we once argued against it with the District. Guess our foresight was right on!

Well, as in all things, this too came to an end, and all's well that end's well, right? :) It was a great run! I'll be praying those AHS kids find theatre elsewhere despite the inconvenience of having to look off-campus.

Anonymous said...

By hammer in hand all the arts do stand. As words and motion are the tools with which you ply your trade, all is not lost, for the virtual world into which you have embarked is filled with hammers of all kinds that many more can wield. Just as a mallet is now tempered, the art also has evolved, and all that has dissolved are the barriers that once were the theatre walls.

Jenni Monahan said...

Oh Sean! I'm so happy that you can move on to something new and exciting, but definitely sad to hear the department as a whole is gone. I will always treasure my memories in the drama department there, and count them as majorly formative years partly due to your wonderful teaching. Thank you for being a great mentor!